VACANCY FOR A SENIOR BUILDING MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN
- Salary: To be discussed based on skillset
- Starting: ASAP
- Contract: Fixed term, 3-month contract to be reviewed after completion of 3-month period.
JOB TITLE: Senior building maintenance technician
JOB TYPE: Operations
JOB BRIEF: A senior building maintenance technician is responsible for any and all maintenance jobs within his/her skillset to buildings. This also includes working autonomously or within a team.
REPORTING AND CONTACTS REPORTING STRUCTURE
Reporting to: General Manager
Subordinates: General maintenance technicians
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES GENERAL
- Survey buildings and report all faults to maintenance administrator
- Repair mechanical systems to ensure they are consistent with health and safety standards
- Perform maintenance of electrical systems (replace light bulbs and sockets, clean and repair circuit breaker panels etc.)
- Assist in the setup of ventilation, refrigeration and other systems and conduct repairs when necessary
- Maintain heating and plumbing systems to ensure functionality
- Perform manual repairs when necessary (fix locks, replace windows etc.)
- Conduct general upkeep procedures (e.g. landscaping) and other tasks as assigned (painting, carpentry etc.)
- Shopfitting of units including drywalling, building, electrical, plumbing and other similar tasks.
- Complete job cards immediately after work has been completed
- Generate a quotation for a specific job with the following:
- Consumables and hardware required
- Labour time required
- Tools and plant required
- Type and quantity of assistance required by general maintenance technicians
SKILLSET OPTIONS SKILLSET 1 – HVAC (COMPULSORY)
- Servicing of air conditioner units including:
- Cleaning of filters
- Taking of temperature
- Checking of R22 and 410a gas
- Charging of R22 and 410a gas units to correct pressure
- Cleaning of internal and external coils
- Checking of running current
- Opening of internal and external air conditioner units
- Cleaning of barrel fans
- Cleaning of air conditioner water pump
- Identification of gas leaks
- Installation of flare nuts
- Installation of copper air conditioner piping
- Installation of aluminium air conditioner piping
- Troubleshooting of barrel fans.
- Replacement of barrel fans.
- Replacing of R22 and 410a compressor
- Routing of condenser water drain
- Installation of air conditioner water pump
- Identification and rectification of electrical problem
- Installation of air conditioner isolator
- Setting up of air conditioner remote
SKILLSET 2 – PLUMBING (BENEFICIAL)
- Installation and maintenance of toilets, basins, showers and other similar items
- Installation and maintenance of copper piping, HDPE piping and galvanised piping
- Installation and maintenance of taps and valves
- Installation and maintenance of drainage systems (50mm, 110mm, 160mm)
SKILLSET 3 – PAINTING (BENEFICIAL)
SKILLSET 4 – BUILDING (BENEFICIAL)
- General assistance with building and construction tasks
- Sealing of roofs
SKILLSET 5 – CARPENTRY (BENEFICIAL)
- Hanging of doors including lock mechanism
- Installation of wooden trusses
- Installation of floor skirtings
SKILLSET 6 – ELECTRICAL (COMPULSORY)
- Wiring – single-phase
- Wiring – three-phase
- Distribution Boards (single phase) – safe working proficiency
- Distribution Boards (three phase) – safe working proficiency
- Electrical lights
- Electrical single-phase plugs
- Electrical three-phase plugs
- Conduit piping
- Drawing/installing of single phase and three phase wiring
SKILLSET 7 – STEELWORK (BENEFICIAL)
- Basic steel marking off
- Basic arch welding
- Basic angle grinder cutting
- Basic grinding
- Building of small structures from steel
POWER TOOLS – PROFICIENCY (COMPULSORY)
- Baby Grinder
POWER TOOLS – PROFICIENCY(BENEFICIAL)
- Rotary saw
- Brush cutter
JOB REQUIREMENTS EDUCATION
- A valid matric certificate
- Skilled or Semi-skilled training in at least one of the compulsory skillset disciplines
- Training with the power tools associated with the skillset discipline
- A valid drivers’ licence
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in at least one of the skillsets above
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with the power tools associated with the skillset discipline
- Prior experience completing job cards
- Prior experience with creating quotes
Ability to complete up the following forms of written communication with correct spelling, grammar and general construction in English or Afrikaans:
- Job card
- Email to colleagues
- WhatsApp message
Ability to communicate verbally in English and another South-African language towards achieving the following outcomes:
- Communicate with a colleague
- Provide feedback on jobs
- Provide feedback on faulty items as they are identified
- When on site, make arrangements with a client to complete work.
SOFTWARE PACKAGES AND MOBILE DEVICES (ADEQUACY REQUIRED):
- Android OS (cell phone)
- Mobile internet browser (Google Chrome)
- Adobe PDF reader
- Learning of new software packages as they are introduced
UNDERSTANDING OF MAINTENANCE ITEMS
- Prior experience with maintenance jobs.
- Basic understanding of hardware items associated with your skillset discipline.
- Basic understanding of hardware suppliers and the types of products they supply.
- Knowledge of the types of trades that exist and what type of job can be done by each.
- A basic understanding of what is done during a maintenance job.
- A basic understanding of what type of job is done by what type of supplier or technician.
- A basic understanding of hardware and what suppliers hold what type of hardware.
- Ability to identify a potential maintenance issue
- Ability to identify tools required to do a job
- Ability to identify supplies required to do a job
- Ability to read a measuring tape.
- Ability to read and understand building plans and construction documentation.